Post War Closure: 1945-1951
After reverting to RAF use by Transport Command in mid-1945, Greenham Common was used for training. Technical Training Command took control of the site in August and the runways were obstructed. No. 13 Recruit Center used the accommodation to train new entrants on eight week 'square bashing' courses. The RAF used the base for five of these courses until RAF Greenham Common was finally declared a surplus facility. The base was closed on June 1st 1946 as an inactive site under Maintenance Command. The site was then parented by RAF Welford, a few miles north west of Newbury.
The base was then occasionally used by the Army for training. Amid the bomb damage to the country and consequent shortage of housing, some of the Nissen huts on the airfield were divided up in to small lodgings. Some local people took them up as temporary accomodation for a short period until much of the site fell into disrepair and a good deal of it was demolished by local builders.
Although the airfield remained, the unfenced site was essentially abandoned until 1951. As the 1940s progressed, a new and more sinister threat was emerging across Eastern and Central Europe. The totalitarian force of Stalinism had moved beyond the Soviet Union and was now threatening to subjugate all of Western Europe and beyond.